About

A brief history of The Queens Hotel

What is now The Queens Hotel was originally known as Southsea House built by the architect Augustus Livesay in 1861. Southsea House was a large private house owned by Sir John and Lady Morris and was later transformed into one of the first hotels in Southsea by William Kemp Junior.

The Queens Hotel Today

A major refurbishment project is underway at the Queens Hotel to restore her to her former glory. So far £4.4m has been spent on updating the bedrooms, redesigning Dukes Bar and Restaurant 1865 and creating a business suite with access to the private garden.

Around The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel sits on the edge of Southsea Common just a few minutes walk from the beach. Southsea Common plays host to a variety of events such as the award-winning Victorious Festival and Kite Festival. Within walking distance is the D-Day Museum and Historic Dockyard, home to the Royal Navy and attractions such as HMS Warrior, HMS Victory and The Mary Rose.

The Spinnaker Tower is also less than a mile away and can be seen from the hotel bar and garden. The Spinnaker is located in the hugely popular Gunwharf Quays shopping and leisure destination. Southsea Castle from where Henry VIII watched his beloved Mary Rose sink is a 10-minute walk from the hotel.

Portsmouth and Southsea Rail Station is less than 2 miles away. Hovertravel, with the world’s only commercial hovercraft is a 5-minute walk from the hotel and offers the fastest route to the Isle of Wight whilst the Wightlink Isle of Wight Car Ferry and Passenger Terminal is a 5-minute drive.
The Queens Hotel offers views across the Solent to the Isle of Wight. The Solent is one of the world’s busiest shipping channels and on any given day you might see naval ships, racing yachts, cruise ships and paddle borders sharing this important strip of water.